For More Successful A.I. in Your Herd
KAMAR Heatmount Detectors are a valuable heat-detection aid to identify cows that are ready to be bred artificially. The detectors are a pressure-sensitive device with a built-in timing mechanism designed to be activated by standing heat behavior. They are glued onto the sacrum (tailhead). Pressure from the brisket of a mounting animal requires approximately three seconds to turn the detector from white to red. This timing mechanism helps assure activation from a true standing heat mount versus false mounting activity. Standing heat behavior in the bovine is a sign that a cow is ready to be bred.
The University of Maryland, in a Journal of Dairy Science report, indicated efficiency of the KAMAR Heatmount Detector was as high as 84 percent when combined with visual observation. Visual only was 68 percent in the same study.
The detector is manufactured in San Diego, Calif. Warehousing and order processing is done in Steamboat Springs, Colo., with a sales office in Portland, Maine. Our operations cover the United States from corner to corner! Our distributors virtually cover the world! KAMAR Heatmount Detectors are available from most A.I. companies or contact us direct for the name of a retail distributor close to you.
- Identify more cows in heat
- More profitable calving intervals
- More accurate insemination; fewer wasted inseminations
- For a more successful breeding program
Tips for Use of Heatmount Detector
- Code your tags with the cow's identification number. Should the tag become scrubbed off during an aggressive mount, you will know which one to watch for "heat" activity.
- This helpful hint sounds simple, but it is important - make sure the arrow points forward.
- A thin, even layer of adhesive on detector and animal gives much better adhesion than a larger amount. Sometimes less is better.
- After breeding, apply a second detector to help determine whether she re-cycles. A second KAMAR Heatmount Detector can be a good, inexpensive indicator to help determine whether she is bred as well as to check for repeat breeding. If the original detector still is attached firmly, simply cut off the plastic bubble and apply a new detector on top of the old patch.
- Detector placement is critical to product success. A gauge based on animal weight is supplied with each box of detectors. Use this gauge to determine approximate placement. Common sense should rule as to final placement. Always position the detector so it will receive maximum pressure from the brisket of a mounting animal. Size of the mounted animal versus the mounting animal will influence this final position. Keep in mind that KAMAR Heatmount Detectors are an aid in identifying estrus in cattle. Common sense and appropriate visual observation still are necessary for a successful A.I. program.
For availability of this product outside of the United States contact: www.kamarinc.com
®KAMAR is a registered trademark and ™Heatmount is a trademark of Kamar Inc., Steamboat Springs, Colo.
®:BITTERGUARD is a registered trademark of Burlington BioMedical and Scientific Corp., Farmingdale, N.Y.
Products listed are merely distributed by Select Sires and manufactured or processed by the company indicated. All claims, representations, and warranties, expressed or implied, are made by the manufacturer. No representations or warranties, expressed or implied, are made by Select Sires.