Premium Herd-Management Products
What is it?
- Microbial Paste Plus1 is a direct-fed microbial product that contains live, naturally-occurring, lactic-acid-producing bacteria: Enterococcus faecium M74 and Lactobacillus acidophilus, and a pure strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae - a live yeast cell product.
- Microbial Paste Plus is a source of lactic-acid-producing bacteria that are resistant to most antibiotics.
- A significant source of Vitamins A, D3, E, B12, niacin and thiamine for supplemental nutritional support.
- It is a significant source of vitamins A, D3, E and B12, niacin and thiamine for supplemental nutritional support.
- Microbial Paste Plus offers a broad range of enzymatic activity, which aids in the digestion of feedstuffs.
- Microbial Paste Plus offers nutritional and digestive benefits to both monogastrics and ruminants.
- It improves intestinal microbial balance.
- No withdrawal is required.
When is it used?
- Use whenever it is necessary to establish and maintain desirable intestinal microflora. Consider using Microbial Paste Plus for newborns, in cows after giving birth, at weaning, before and after transporting, after deworming or antibiotic therapy, or during any digestive disturbance.
- Microbial Paste Plus comes in a 32-cubic-centimeter (cc) tube, with 12 tubes per box. Each tube contains approximately eight newborn or five cow doses.
- Microbial Paste Plus also is available in a 300-cc tube, with six tubes per box. Each tube contains approximately 30 newborn or 20 cow doses.
- A convenient dispensing device also is available.
Direct-fed microbials are naturally occurring organisms found in the intestinal tract of animals and humans. Microbial Paste Plus contains living microorganisms that contribute to the well-being of animals by improving the intestinal microbial balance. It is considered to have beneficial bacteria.
The major organism in Microbial Paste Plus is Enterococcus faecium M74. This organism reproduces itself every 18 to 19 minutes. This is important because most other beneficial, as well as "negative" types of bacteria, reproduce themselves every 23 to 60 minutes. Therefore, the SF M74 can out-reproduce the undesirable bacteria. This action is called competitive exclusion.
When competitive exclusion occurs, the intestinal tract contains a majority of beneficial bacteria. This enables the animal to use the nutrients in feed more efficiently.
The beneficial bacteria also produce lactic acid, which slightly alters the pH in the intestinal tract to levels that may not be favorable for growth of undesirable organisms.
Microbial products are labelled as providing a certain number of colony-forming units (CFUs) per dose. These units attach themselves to a part of the intestinal tract and reproduce.
When administered as a 10-cc dose from a 300-cc tube, Microbial Paste Plus provides five billion CFUs of lactic-acid-producing microorganisms. When administered as a 4-cc dose from a 32-cc tube, it provides five billion CFUs of lactic-acid-producing microorganisms. At these levels, the intestinal tract is flooded with superior numbers of beneficial bacteria to crowd out - through competitive exclusion - negative organisms.
By treating newborn calves (on day one), the beneficial bacteria can become established before the negative bacteria does.
Microbial Paste Plus also contains Lactobacillus acidophilus (a pure strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and is a significant source of vitamins A, D3, E and B12, niacin and thiamine for supplemental nutritional support during times that Microbial Paste Plus is recommended.
Microbial Paste Plus:
- Contains four sources of living bacteria to establish bacterial balance in the intestinal tract
- Contains specialized proteins that also assist in maintaining bacterial balance
Contact your professional Select Sires representative for information about Microbial Paste Plus.1Microbial Paste Plus is manufactured by Medipharm USA, Des Moines, Iowa. All claims, representations and warranties, expressed or implied, are made only by the manufacturer, and not by Select Sires Inc.
All products listed are distributed within the U.S. by Select Sires Inc.