Michael Goggin Memorial Scholarships Awarded by Prairie State/Select Sires
HAMPSHIRE, Ill., October 12, 2016 - Prairie State/Select Sires presented six scholarships in the memory of former General Manager Michael Goggin to deserving college students from Iowa and Illinois. Michael Goggin was a Prairie State/Select Sires employee for more than 30 years and served as the organization's general manager for 20 years. He retired in June 2009 and passed away in August 2012. In 2014, to honor his dedication and devotion to Prairie State/Select Sires, the board of directors began awarding scholarships annually to students pursuing advanced degrees in agricultural-related fields. Applicants must also be a family member of a current Prairie State/Select Sires customer.
The 2016 Michael Goggin Scholarship recipients are:
- Rachel Deters, Sigel, Ill., daughter of Joe and Carleen Deters
- Karla Hageman, Decorah, Iowa, daughter of Alan and Ruth Hageman
- Emily Irwin, Belvidere, Ill., daughter of Mark and Melissa Irwin
- Haley Jones, Creston, Iowa, daughter of Patrick and Nancy Jones
- Matthew Metzger, Larchwood, Iowa, son of Mark and Audrey Metzger
- Jenna Preston, Taylor Ridge, Ill., daughter of Brian and Kelly Preston
Based in Hampshire, Ill., Prairie State/Select Sires is the farmer-owned and controlled cooperative that operates in Illinois and Iowa as a member of Select Sires, Inc., North America’s largest A.I. organization. As the industry leader, it provides highly fertile semen as well as excellence in service and programs to achieve its basic objective of supplying dairy and beef producers with North America’s best genetics at a reasonable price.